Specialist insurance provider extends discount to bikes fitted with Tracker Vantage
Motorcycle insurance specialist, Carole Nash, has teamed up with stolen vehicle recovery (SVR) expert, Tracker, to offer £30 discount on their annual insurance premium if they invest in the tracking and security solution Tracker Vantage.
The risk to motorcycles
Tracker recovers nearly half a million pounds worth of motorcycles each year, thanks to its GPS stolen vehicle recovery solution and unique police partnership, returning stolen bikes to their rightful owners and outsmarting professional criminals.
Providing cover for more than 200,000 motorcycles and scooters in the UK and Ireland, Carole Nash recognises the very real threat of motorcycle theft for owners. Mark Copper, Head of Product - Bike at of Carole Nash comments, “Lightweight and agile motorcycles and scooters are easy pickings for thieves across the UK. Whilst the Metropolitan Police Force reports a staggering 66% of all stolen motorcycles and 49% of all stolen scooters recorded in 2020*, the city of Manchester, as well as metropolitan counties West Yorkshire and Merseyside, also report higher than average numbers of motorcycle thefts**.
“It is anticipated that motorcycle thefts will rise significantly this year compared to last, as criminals make up time lost during pandemic enforced restrictions. However, our collaboration with Tracker, which has an unrivalled stolen vehicle recovery rate of more than 95%, means our policyholders can benefit from dramatically increasing the chances of their bike being recovered, should the unthinkable happen.”
How Tracker can help
Supported by Tracker Touch, a free interactive app, Tracker Vantage subscribers have access to a long list of impressive benefits, over and above Thatcham accredited security. This includes a ‘bike down’ feature which cleverly detects when an individual’s motorcycle is down, in the event of an accident, and automatically notifies the person’s chosen emergency contact. It can also locate a bike when the owner forgets where they parked it, provide localised crime statistics, keep a journey log and even offers system health check capabilities.
Demonstrating the power of Tracker Vantage, a Honda CRFR250R worth £5,500 was recently recovered in Doncaster by Tracker under three hours of it being stolen. The theft of the bike, which had been parked in front of a hotel, was caught on CCTV. The perpetrators transported the bike in the back of van, but Tracker was able track it whilst the van was in motion.
A Triumph Thruxton worth £12,000 was also recently recovered by Tracker in London in less than two hours, thanks to Tracker’s unique Mesh Network. When a vehicle fitted with a Tracker unit passes any Tracker equipped vehicle that has been reported stolen, the Mesh Network listens and automatically sends a silent signal to Tracker’s Head Quarters and the police, providing the location of the stolen asset. In this instance, Multiple Mesh alerts aided the Police to identify the location of the bike and make a swift recovery.
Clive Wain, Head of Police Liaison at Tracker adds, “Our data from the past 5-years shows that on average we recovered half a million pounds worth of stolen motorbikes each year, and we anticipate a significant rise in 2021. We always advise bike and scooter owners to make it as difficult as possible for thieves by using a range of security options, including chains, immobilisers and markers.
“Multiple layers of security will go a long way in providing protection. Our SVR solutions work like an electronic homing device. A transmitter is covertly hidden in one of numerous places around the vehicle. There is no visible aerial, so the thief won’t know it’s there. It may not stop a bike being stolen, but it vastly increases the chances of a speedy recovery.”
Tracker’s Top Tips for Motorcycle Security:
- Motorbike Locks - Always secure chain locks or cable locks to an immovable object, such as a lamp post. Always try to thread the chain or cable through the bike frame.
- Motorbike Alarms and Immobilisers - A quality Thatcham approved, professionally fitted alarm system will not only deter a thief but could also reduce insurance premiums. It’s crucial to get it fitted by a factory trained technician as modern bikes are sensitive to poorly fitted alarms.
- Mark Your Motorcycle - Using a simple UV pen, mark parts of the motorcycle with the VIN (vehicle identification number), vehicle registration and postcode. Alternatively invest in an identification system.
- Remove Equipment - As an added guard, remove the spark plug or HT cap.
- Be Seen! - Always park the bike where it can be seen, day or night, by passers-by.
- Use Different Parking Spots - Try to vary the places you park - sophisticated thieves will study parking habits and routines before making a theft.
- Use Secure Public Parking - Most cities will have a secure parking area for motorcycles with fixed security hoops for locking chains.
- Garage - If you have a garage, use it. Always put the bike away immediately and make sure the garage is properly secure. Consider putting in a ground anchor in the garage to lock the bike to
- #protectwhatmatters - Invest in a stolen vehicle recovery system such as Tracker Vantage, which is used by all UK police forces. Carole Nash offers a £30 discount on its insurance premiums to riders who protect their motorcycle with Tracker Vantage.