The UK is basking under a summer heatwave, which is prompting motorists to put their belongings and cars at risk by leaving vehicle windows open, roofs down and cars unattended, in a bid to cool down sweltering interiors. Stolen vehicle recovery (SVR) expert, TRACKER (part of the Tantalum Corporation) is warning motorists to keep windows closed and doors locked to avoid the danger of opportunistic thieves taking advantage of easy pickings.
“This is normally an alert we issue to owners when Jack Frost makes his first appearance at winter, when we typically see motorists leave their cars unattended – or as the Police say ‘quitting their vehicles’ - whilst the heating defrosts windscreens on a frosty morning. 47% of people we surveyed admitted to doing this and the soaring temperatures means people are being equally tempted to leave car windows open or leave them running unattended, whilst the air con kicks in,” explains Clive Wain, Head of Police Liaison at TRACKER. “Whether your car is on a driveway, at the roadside or in any type of car park, never leave it unlocked and unattended with the keys in the ignition, as the unscrupulous can take just seconds to enter and make a getaway.
“Summer is a busy and lucrative time for burglars and petty thieves, who make the most of the warm weather and the invitation that open windows and doors present. Even something as simple as leaving some designer sunglasses on a window sill or dashboard could be enough to entice thieves to take action. Don’t let the heat get to your head; be extra vigilant and focus on security. A little precaution will be well worth the effort if it means thieves walk on by.”
TRACKER’s unique SVR technology can locate stolen vehicles anywhere, even if they are hidden in a garage or shipping container. Using a unique combination of VHF, GPS and GSM signals, TRACKER units can’t be interrupted by jammers, making it superior to others on the market. The covert transmitter is hidden in one of several dozen places around the vehicle and because it’s silent, with no visible aerial, thieves won’t even know it’s there.
TRACKER's Summer car security tips
- Don’t leave your car unlocked on the drive with the air-conditioning running.
- Make sure you’ve closed all windows before getting out, especially on the passenger side and back seats.
- Take five minutes to tuck belongings away into the glove box or boot – leaving a bag is a temptation for thieves looking for valuables such as keys, wallets and digital devices.
- If you are driving a convertible and park leaving the roof down, remember to remove your valuables.
- Visible alarm systems, steering locks and stickers announcing security measures all make thieves think twice.
- Install a TRACKER device, which significantly increases the chances of police locating a vehicle if it is stolen.