Cambridgeshire Police with the help of Tracker recover caravan in Willingham, Cambridgeshire
A Swift caravan worth £30k was stolen overnight along with 3 other caravans from Northamptonshire. The Tracker unit was activated as soon as the owner realised their ‘van had been stolen. Tracker, in partnership with Cambridgeshire Constabulary, quickly took action to find and recover in Cambridgeshire the very next day.
PC 2065 Dougie McCOLM, Road Policing Constable Officer from Cambridgeshire Constabulary, confirms; “We were contacted by Tracker who informed us that they had traced a caravan which had been stolen from Northamptonshire, in the Cambridgeshire area. Officers from Cambridgeshire Roads Policing Unit were dispatched and with the assistance of Tracker, a specific area to search was identified. Upon our arrival to that area, the in-built Tracker readers in our vehicles soon identified the signal from the stolen caravan and it was subsequently located hidden away down a lane in Willingham, Cambridgeshire. The caravan was recovered undamaged and was soon reunited with its owner.”
Clive Wain, Head of Police Liaison for Tracker, commented; “Once again we have worked closely with Cambridgeshire Constabulary to achieve a positive outcome. We believe 2021 year will be a challenging year for caravan owners because the continued Covid-19 restrictions are stimulating growth in the market and in turn, creating opportunities for the unscrupulous. Health Secretary Matt Hancock has cautioned UK holidaymakers against booking trips abroad this summer, meaning more will look to take their holidays in the UK. Caravans are extremely lucrative for criminals and can be relatively easy to steal if they are not properly protected.
“Physical deterrents such as secure storage facilities, hitch locks, wheel clamps, alarm systems and deadbolts will reduce the chance of theft, but only a tracking device will improve the chance to locate and successfully recover your prized asset if criminals get past these barriers.”
When buying a second-hand caravan from a dealer or even privately check to see if it has a tracker fitted. It will only take a phone call to pay a subscription fee which will mean your caravan is protected should the worse happen and it is stolen.
Tracker’s Caravan Security Tips
- Be sure to security mark the caravan.
- Mark valuables and interior fitments inside the caravan with your postcode using an etching tool or engraver.
- Fit physical deterrents such as hitch locks, wheel clamps and deadlocks on doors to make it difficult for thieves.
- Remove all valuables from the caravan.
- Do not leave registration documents in the caravan as they can help thieves sell it on.
- Always close and lock doors and windows.
- When planning for the storage season, choose a site with good security rather than just a good price.
- Fit a Tracker device to increase the chance of recovery in the event of theft.
- Retro fit a unique Identification System to your caravan.