As sales of leisure vehicles continue to increase year-on-year and a staggering 66%* of British people claim they plan to stay on home turf for their holiday this year, the UK could become a hot spot for caravan thieves, warns Tracker. As a leader in stolen vehicle recovery (SVR) technology, Tracker urges caravan owners to invest in protecting their asset, the result of which could spell the difference between police locating and recovering a stolen caravan or it being gone forever.
The recent increase in caravan sales has also been matched by a significant increase in the theft of leisure vehicles generally,” explains Clive Wain, Head of Police Liaison at Tracker (part of the Tantalum Corporation). “Our experience at Tracker is that these thefts are overwhelmingly committed by organised gangs who are stealing leisure vehicles to order, to meet demand for a lucrative market in stolen leisure vehicles both here in the UK and across Europe.
How do thieves steal caravans?
Typically, thieves are frequently utilising satellite mapping technology to identify valuable leisure vehicles parked on vulnerable driveways and storage sites across the country, striking during the early hours. It’s vital therefore that owners invest in the best possible peace of mind when it comes to security, which includes fitting a Tracker.
How can Tracker help to protect my caravan from thieves?
Tracker’s unique VHF technology sets itself apart from conventional GPS/GSM products which in many cases can be easily jammed, using devices purchased cheaply on internet websites explains Clive. “Our long-range VHF network is unique and extremely difficult to jam and, we are the only stolen vehicle tracking company that installs its detection equipment in police vehicles and helicopters across the UK.
Importantly, Tracker’s devices are Thatcham Quality Assured, meaning they have successfully undergone a rigorous assessment under Thatcham’s own robust criteria. They are also backed by the majority of insurers who mandate the installation of a Thatcham approved device in caravans before giving insurance cover. So powerful is Tracker’s unique technology, that it can locate stolen caravans and motorhomes anywhere, even if they are hidden in a garage or shipping container. With a 95% recovery rate, installing a Tracker device in a caravan offers holidaymakers a superior security solution.
*ABTA figures 2018
Tracker’s Caravan Security Tips
Choose a storage site with good security rather than just a good price
Fit security posts or a substantial gate if parking the caravan on the drive
- Security mark the caravan if it is not already done.
- Mark valuables and interior fitments inside the caravan with your postcode using an etching tool or engraver.
- Fit physical deterrents such as hitch locks, wheel clamps and deadlocks on doors to make it difficult for thieves.
- Remove all valuables from the caravan.
- Do not leave registration documents in the caravan as they can help thieves sell it on.
- Always close and lock doors and windows when you leave your caravan, even if it’s just for a short time.
- Fit a time switch if you’re out after dark, as lights on will make it look occupied and deter opportunist thieves.
- Get to know your neighbours on the caravan site and look out for each other’s vehicles.
- Don’t be afraid to report suspicious activity.
- Fit a Tracker device to increase the chance of recovery in the event of theft